As Congress returns to Washington, the NACHC staff will be fanning out across Capitol Hill on Health Reform, Appropriations, Medicare and other policy priorities. Here are some highlights of where we’ll be this week:
- Tom Van Coverden and Dan Hawkins will meet with Senator Chris Dodd (D-CT) on Tuesday, to discuss health reform strategy and health centers’ priorities. Senator Dodd has been chairing the legislative proceedings in the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions (HELP) Committee for Committee Chair Senator Edward Kennedy (D-MA).
- Kaitlin McColgan will be working with our grassroots advocacy department to make a final push on FY10 Appropriations, which gets underway with House Subcommittee consideration this Friday.
- Lupita Salazar-Letscher will continue working with House Ways and Means and Senate Finance Committee staff to get the MATCH Medicare protections included in health reform legislation.
- Alexandra Clift will be monitoring the continued debate in the Senate HELP Committee over the Health Reform bill. Last week the Committee released a revised version of the bill, which includes a “public option” for insurance and a requirement that employers offer their employees coverage.
- John Sawyer will be overseeing the campaign to add cosponsors to resolutions H.Con.Res. 144 and S.Con.Res. 25 – adding cosponsors to these resolutions is key to ensuring progress for health centers in health reform. Check the NACHC Health Reform Hub for updated lists of signers.