by Don Weaver & Lindsay Mehalik
On August 2, 2011, the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) released updated eligibility criteria for entities seeking to recruit National Health Service Corps (NHSC) scholarship recipients and loan repayors during July 1, 2011 to June 30, 2012. The changes include:
• The deadline to get your HPSA score updated this year is September 1, 2011.
• The cut off for assignment of NHSC scholarship-obligated corps personnel this year is a HPSA score of 16.
• Scholars and those with loan repayment are now able to serve half time (16 hours of direct patient care). NHSC clinicians in a HRSA-approved Teaching Health Center (THC) are allowed additional time for teaching activities. (20 of the 40 hours may be allocated towards teaching activities).
• Provision to request two scholars at any one site was approved and implemented in January 2011; these requests are reviewed on a case by case basis based on community need, as measured by demand for services, patient outcomes and other similar factors.
• Full-time and half-time clinicians doing deliveries (OB/GYN, CNM, and FP), providing geriatric care, pediatric dentistry, and behavioral health have increased hour flexibility.
For additional information or clarifications on any of the above information, please contact Don Weaver, MD(firstname.lastname@example.org).