National Health Center Week (NHCW) is around the corner and Community Health Centers around the country are busy putting the finishing touches on their celebrations and promoting events. Over 1,000 events are expected to take place and it’s exciting to see all the Facebook posts about the various activities and organizations using the NHCW Facebook cover photo.
NHCW is a time for Community Health Centers to shine and showcase all they do for their patients and their communities. This year’s theme “Celebrating America’s Health Centers: Transforming Health Care in Our Local Communities” touches on the many innovative ways health centers can alter the lives of the people they serve by simply providing access to affordable, quality health care. Ben Franklin once said “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure,” and nothing could be truer when it comes to our health centers and their approach to health care. Health centers provide comprehensive primary and preventative care that saves the U.S. health system $24 billion a year.
However, health centers also do much more–going above and beyond the traditional scope of most private practices to address the needs within their community. They tailor their services to fit the special needs of their patients providing access to care through services such as transportation, translation, health education and more. So let’s celebrate Community Health Centers and their work to transform health care in our communities.
To get the celebration started I’ve included some of the various links to articles I have come across in the last few days promoting NHCW events.
- Community Health Center to Celebrate in August–Virginia
- Northshore Celebrating National Health Center Week—Indiana
- Community Health Center to hold free dental screenings, physical—Missouri
- Healthcare Network of Southwest Florida to celebrate–Florida
- Clinic gives away school supplies—Georgia
- 5k Run/Walk is Saturday, Aug. 17—South Carolina
- Community Health Day Expo is next week—Virginia
- Tri-City Health Center Celebrates National Health Center Week with Breakfast Fundraiser—California
- Ossining’s Open Door Medical Center Participates in Health Fair—New York
Also, check out this video from Ravenswood Family Health Center in California promoting its NHCW talent show.
It’s not too late to post your event details and let others know about your NHCW events. To submit an event visit: http://www.healthcenterweek.com/submit-your-event.cfm, and don’t forget to use #NHCW2013 on social media.