Watch here and follow our live-blog of today’s Senate Health, Education, Labor & Pensions Committee Hearing, Primary Care Access & Health Reform. This HELP Committee hearing shines the health reform spotlight on two federal programs that work: Community Health Centers and the National Health Service Corps.
The Witness Line-Up & Testimony:
- Cynthia Bascetta, Director of Health Care, Government Accountability Office (GAO), Washington DC
- Dan Hawkins, Senior Vice President, National Association of Community Health Centers (NACHC), Bethesda MD
- Fitzhugh Mullan, MD, Murdock Head Professor of Medicine and Health Policy, Washington DC
- Caswell A. Evans, Jr., DDS, MPH, Associate Dean for Prevention & Public Health Services, University of Illinois at Chicago College of Dentistry, Chicago IL
- Yvonne Davis, Community Health Center Board Member, Florence SC
- John Matthew, MD, The Health Center, Plainfield VT
- Lisa Nichols, Executive Director, Midtown Community Health Center, Ogden UT
Rep. Clyburn and Sen. Sanders opened the hearing with a bang, stating that we must expand the Health Center Program now to shore up our health care workforce shortages, create new jobs and achieve access for all.
“We’re saving money. We’re keeping people well, we’re keeping them out of emergency rooms… this is a win-win situation.” — Sen. Sanders