There were so many things going on during National Health Center Week 2016 our heads are spinning! Over 75 Members of Congress toured a health center in their Congressional district, there have been thousands of different events going on — health fairs, breakfasts, picnics, grand openings of new sites, and much more. There was even this marriage proposal that took place during what was supposed to be a fire drill at Ellen Jones Community Dental Center (a site of Harbor Health Services) in Cape Cod, MA. Though it may be hard to top a marriage proposal, there are other highlights during #NHCW16 worth noting:
- This Buzzfeed list about why health centers are innovators.
- An op-ed in The Hill by NACHC President and CEO Tom Van Coverden about the bipartisan support for Community Health Centers.
- An op-ed in The Tennessean newspaper highlighting the cost-savings health centers bring to the healthcare system.
- This article about a patient who became a Community Health Center doctor in North Carolina.
- This awesome Letter to the Editor in the Louisiana Advertiser.
- An article in the Idaho Press about how the state’s health centers offer care to over 50 percent of the state’s uninsured population.
- This Back to School event by High Plains Community Health Center in Colorado.
Stay tuned to this blog and we’ll continue to update you on NHCW highlights!